Saturday, December 9, 2006

cookin' in my kitchen



Tomato Soup with Toasted Cheese Croutons
(Also known as the world's most scrumptious creamy tomato soup ever)

3 Tbsp. butter, divided
1 small onion, chopped
1 medium carrot, diced
1 stalk celery, diced
2 (28-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
6 sprigs parsley
4 cups vegetable stock
1/2 cup heavy cream
Salt
Freshly-ground pepper
1/2 sourdough baguette, sliced into 1/2" cubes
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese

1. In a large pot over medium heat, melt 2 Tbsp. butter. Add onion, carrot, and celery. Sauté until tender but not browned, about 6 to 8 minutes.

2. Add tomatoes, parsley and stock. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer and cover. Skim foam and fat from top of soup and cover. Simmer until carrots are tender, about 25 minutes. Remove parsley sprigs from soup and discard. Puree soup in batches in a food processor or blender. Return to pot and stir in cream and remaining Tbsp. of butter. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper.

3. Meanwhile, toss cubes of bread with olive oil and Parmesan. Place on a sheet pan and bake at 400º for about 10 minutes, until golden brown and crispy. Pour soup into mugs and place a few croutons on top. Makes 8 servings.

I got this recipe from Oprah's magazine a few years ago, and I think I love it enough to tattoo it on my body. Best cold-weather soup ever.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • WooHoo, recipes are back!

    btw- Don't be surprised if a really weird bearded guy says hello to you at the Flickr Christmas party. It just might be me. :)

    By Blogger Paulie, at 7:17 PM  

  • This sounds great. Do you make your own vegetable stock?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:55 PM  

  • sounds lovely. any time you want to give us more recipes don't hesitate!

    By Blogger Katrinayellow, at 1:34 PM  

  • Thanks all! Paulie, weird bearded guy, I hope to see you tonight! Though I may not stay long. I am generally allergic to enormous crowds full of flashing cameras.

    Sam, I have made my own stock a couple of times before. But I usually use purchased vegetable broth, the organic kind in the aseptic boxes, and it works great.

    I highly recommend pairing this bad boy with some grilled cheese sandwiches made with "serious" bread (challah is my favorite in this context).

    Katherine, I plan to make a regular practice of sharing recipes, so hope you'll stay tuned.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home