Friday, December 1, 2006

Sunny side up


Last week in Iowa City, Amy and I went out to breakfast at a little cafe in her neighborhood. We sat and talked about art, ambition, our past, old lovers.

Amy and I have been friends for almost ten years now, but we became really close four years ago when she was going through a divorce.

That was a tricky passage. I was still "good" back then. I found her decision to leave her husband terribly upsetting. She was divorcing a friend of mine, an old college classmate, a person I really admired. I wrote her a terse letter, carefully addressed it to her married name, asked her if she really knew what she was doing.

She replied with an equally terse letter, telling me that yes, she did know what she was doing, and it was very hard for her, too, thank you for your concern.

There was a great deal of drama in our early days.

Two years ago I went through my own separation, and there was even more drama. But it was different this time. A more sisterly drama. Amy forgave my judgment against her and chose to support me. We pledged allegiance to our broken promises, marveled over James Wright poems, and commiserated over the unsettling nakedness of an empty ring finger.

As we sat at the cafe on Friday talking over scrambled eggs with salsa, I had to marvel at how far we had come from the day of my indignant letter brimming with judgment. It felt like a small miracle that the two of us would find ourselves there, talking warmly of our lives, making plans for the future. It felt like our relationship had left its painful adolescence and become a strong connection that no vow could create or destroy.

5 Comments:

  • I find it remarkable the pain that friendships can endure and somehow come out stronger on the other side. This is a beautiful tribute to that blessing.

    By Blogger eliza, at 12:39 PM  

  • Love this post. I love that you are growing up as you are growing older. Me too.

    By Blogger the lady love, at 4:45 PM  

  • Great, painful story. Thanks for your honesty about your relationship with Amy and your own journey.

    It sounds like Amy is a friend worth fighting to keep.

    Redemption is always sweet, even though the price often involves the unraveling of ourselves.

    .john.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:03 PM  

  • You may -- or may not -- be "good" still, but I have the sneaking suspicion that you're a good person, and that you have been for quite a while.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:58 AM  

  • Well, hmm. Look at this. Dear, your letter was one of the few asking me to explain myself that actually seemed to want an answer. The cheese sauce on those poached eggs was a little sketchy, but I loved that breakfast for the same reason you did. It was the day after Thanksgiving, ridiculously warm for Iowa in November. I was drinking cream from a teaspoon. We'd never been so good.

    By Blogger Amy B, at 9:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home