Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Doing My Little Part to Check World Population

I spent almost the whole day on Sunday in the kitchen. It was the kind of grey, cold January day that just makes you want to stay put and not really do anything useful or meaningful. The rain was falling steadily outside. I decided to make a chocolate buttercream cake from the first Barefoot Contessa cookbook. I took particular pleasure in picking a great soundtrack for my baking, hitting Marvin Gaye's What's Going On before firing up Hem's Funnel Cloud and Madeleine Peyroux's Half the Perfect World.

It was the kind of blissful day that was completely free of obligation. While the cake layers were baking and cooling, I ran some laundry, sent a few emails, and read a few chapters from the flighty little novel I'm reading. These days come along only every once in a while, but they refresh me completely and leave me ready for whatever is around the corner. At the end of the day, as I finished dressing the cake with luscious buttercream frosting, I had a single thought:

"This kind of day would be almost impossible for me if I had children."

It was last summer, after reading Anne Lamott's foreword to this book, that I finally realized that I Really Don't Want Kids.

I'll get her words all wrong here, because I don't own the book and returned it to the library months ago. But in the foreword, she says something like: "Some people think that having a child is the only real way to truly find yourself, connect with the deepest parts of life, and return your own gift to the world that you came from. But frankly, I think that is a total crock."

She pretty much nailed it for me with that sentence.

Of course, even months after arriving at this place, I still notice an edge of tension entering my body whenever the question comes up in conversation with others (especially other women). I'm not quite sure why. Billie Jean King famously defeated Bobby Riggs before I was even born; how is it that a single woman living happily on her own in this century even has to ask herself this question multiple times? (I should add that nobody's begging me to have children, anyhow.)

I really enjoy children and find them beautiful and fascinating, but I've never, ever longed for one of my own. Coincidentally, I also have a fairly mild gross-out threshold when it comes to baby drool, baby spit-up, baby poop, and any other type of waste byproduct emerging from these amazing creatures with the giant, reflective eyes and wobbly necks. I don't think I'm cut out to be a mother.

So I'll probably never know how it feels to buy one of those impossibly tiny pairs of baby socks for my baby's impossibly tiny feet. And I'll probably never know the absolute purity of holding a baby of my own in my arms and singing her to sleep. I think Sunday let me know that I'm really okay with that.

8 Comments:

  • Me either, girl. Me either.

    By Blogger the lady love, at 11:42 AM  

  • just doing our part to make sure our family stops with us! i mean, it's pretty much impossible for our spawn to be better than us anyway. see you monday! woot!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:25 PM  

  • Heh. Travis, I have had the same thought. I'm not sure who the real Bad Guys are -- the childless-by-choice crowd or the happy breeders. Surely someone is guilty!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:52 AM  

  • good thoughts. the thing that scares me about bringing life into the world is subjecting someone (who you will supposedly love uncoditionally) to the incredible pain that life is. Over the Rhine put it eloquently in the song Changes Come "sometime's i think that maybe this whole world is too fucked up for any first-born son".

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:19 PM  

  • Good post. I have a kid myself (a daughter, seven months old), and always knew I wanted to be a parent someday. But you're absolutely right about not being able to do your own thing when you have a child. I love Charlotte dearly, but sometimes I'd give anything for a Sunday like yours.

    Just one, though. I'd miss her.

    Don't let anyone give you crap about your decision. It's yours to make, and it sounds like you made the right one.

    By Blogger Jana, at 8:31 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 3:16 PM  

  • Very well-written and thought-provoking post (as usual).

    By Blogger eliza, at 10:31 PM  

  • And further ...

    How many people have I heard claim their children as the greatest accomplishment and comfort of their lives? It's the thing they can always lean on during a metaphysical crisis, or a moment of doubt about their relevancy -- If I have done nothing else in this life, then at least I have raised my children well.

    But what if, either by choice or by reluctant necessity, you end up not participating in this comforting cycle of family and continuity? What if you step out? Where do you sit at the reunion? How do you mark time's passage without the fear that you've just frittered away your time on earth without being relevant? You'll need to find another purpose, another measure by which to judge whether or not you have been a successful human being. I love children, but what if I don't have any? What kind of person does that make me?


    Elizabeth Gilbert, Eat Pray Love (your wonderful gift to me)

    By Blogger eliza, at 5:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home