Monday, January 8, 2007

I sing of arms and the man

Every year or so you'll bump into a newspaper article or a radio story about the "famous first lines" of acclaimed novels. You've read these little articles, right? They always trot out "Call me Ishmael," which is the "Jesus wept" of opening lines.

A list you see less frequently is great opening lines of songs. Death Cab for Cutie's Transatlanticism album delivers a fine opening line, perhaps because it's beautifully couched in thundering drums and guitars:
So this is the new year
And I don't feel any different
I have an endless affection for good opening lines, and my exhaustive research suggests a few important ways to deliver a memorable first line.

A good opening line often sizzles when it's served up on a bed of epic music. Big horns or big drums or a mysterious chord played on the organ that builds and builds. I've always been partial to "Heroes" by David Bowie for the way the music leads you way, way in, and then kind of drops you off on a dark corner:
I... I will be king
and you... you will be queen
The Waterboys' song "This Is the Sea" features 9 acoustic guitars playing the same chord progression in unity, and an opening line full of superhuman wisdom:
These things you keep
You better throw them all away
Another fine approach is to spin a yarn.
Falling James in the Tahoe mud
Stick around to tell us all the tale
Well he fell in love with a Gun Street girl
And now he's dancing in the Birmingham jail
dancing in the Birmingham jail
("Gun Street Girl" – Tom Waits)

A well-placed oddball line can be enormously satisfying, as with so many of the songs recorded by Belle & Sebastian ("The State I Am In"):
I was surprised,
I was happy for a day in 1975

Perhaps my favorite current opening line is from Drive-By Truckers' 2003 album Decoration Day. I have to admit that it's the only song I know by this band ("Heathens"), but word for word, it's one of the best opening lines I've ever encountered:
Somethin' 'bout the wrinkle in your forehead
Tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
I'm sure there are some great lines I'm leaving out here, so post a comment and share your favorite with us. Or maybe an anti-favorite – an example of the world's worst opening line. Kind of like Pat Benetar's "Hell is for Children":
They cry in the dark, so you can't see their tears
They hide in the light, so you can't see their fears
Clearly, friends, this is the songwriting craft at its finest.

11 Comments:

  • I don't mean to keep throwing The Weepies at you, but I really like the first line of "Take it from Me" --

    What can I compare you to,
    a favorite pair of shoes?
    Maybe my bright red boots if they had wings.

    By Blogger eliza, at 5:36 PM  

  • There are so, so many:

    When the night shows
    The signals grow on radios


    ("Here Comes The Flood" - Peter Gabriel)


    "When our column advanced and we saw what we'd done
    We were sure that we could never tell the folks back home"
    Said my father to me
    I had just turned sixteen
    And we were walking from my school to his apartment alone.


    ("The World In 1984" - Jonathan Meiburg)


    It's at times such as this
    She'd be tempted to spit
    If she wasn't so ladylike...


    ("All This Useless Beauty" - Elvis Costello)


    Now I've heard there was a secret chord
    That David played, and it pleased the Lord
    But you don't really care for music, do you?


    ("Hallelujah" - Leonard Cohen)


    Well, it's Ninth and Hennepin
    And all the doughnuts have names that sound like prostitutes.


    ("9th and Hennepin" - Tom Waits)


    Well they blew up the chicken man in Philly last night
    Now they blew up his house too
    Down on the boardwalk they're gettin' ready for a fight
    Gonna see what them racket boys can do


    ("Atlantic City" - Bruce Springsteen)


    Living on the road, my friend
    Was gonna keep you free and clean
    Now you wear your skin like iron
    Your breath's as hard as kerosene


    ("Pancho and Lefty" - Townes van Zandt)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:58 AM  

  • Oh, and:

    There's rows and rows of houses
    With windows painted blue
    With the light from a TV
    Running parallel to you


    ("Sunken Treasure" - Jeff Tweedy)


    I am an American aquarium drinker
    I assassin down the avenue.


    ("I Am Trying To Break Your Heart" - Jeff Tweedy)


    And this I know: his teeth as white as snow
    What a gas it was to see him
    Walk her every day
    Into a shady place


    ("Gigantic" - Frank Black/Kim Deal)


    All the late-night bargains have been struck
    Between the satin beaus and their belles
    Prehistoric garbage trucks
    Have the city to themselves


    ("Your Latest Trick" - Mark Knopfler)


    I'm sure, in l'esprit d'escalier, I'll think of a million more. But I'll spare you.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:27 AM  

  • Sam, those are some really good ones! And many of them are totally new to me (esp. Jeff Tweedy). Thanks.

    By Blogger romanlily, at 9:59 AM  

  • Stranger than Fiction has given me a new favorite song - "Whole Wide World," by Wreckless Eric.

    When I was a young boy
    My mama said to me
    There's only one girl in the world for you,
    And she probably lives in Tahiti.

    By Blogger Jessamyn, at 9:50 PM  

  • Also, I love the song "Gigantic," that Sam quoted - I'd almost forgotten about it. (It's written by Black & Deal, as he noted, but if you're looking for it on iTunes or somewhere, look for it by The Pixies. One of my favorite songs in college.

    By Blogger Jessamyn, at 10:02 PM  

  • By Josh Ritter, the song "Idaho":

    All that love, all those mistakes
    What else can a poor man make?


    Also, I always loved the opening of The Smiths' song "I Don't Owe You Anything":

    Bought on stolen wine
    Enough was the first step
    You knew very well what was coming next...

    By Blogger actionfigureamy, at 12:00 PM  

  • Ooo. what an invitation! i shall start with these lines from Doug Martsch of Built to Spill:

    "In the morning: feeling half-right
    If it was more than just one day
    I'd feel alright
    Today has crashed beneath the waves of next day next day next day next day next day next day..."

    Smog:

    "I am Star Wars today
    I am no longer English gray!"
    and another from Smog
    "whether or not there is any type of god, we're not supposed to say

    and today I don't really care

    God is a word and the argument ends there.

    Oh, do I feel, like the mother of the world

    with 2 children

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:36 AM  

  • "If you're having girl problems I feel bad for you son,
    I've got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one"
    (good, if a bit misogynist)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:37 AM  

  • Yeah, it's the Pixies -- I was crediting them to the songwriter(s) rather than the band. (The Jeff Tweedy ones are by Wilco, and the Jonathan Meiburg one is by Shearwater, both of whom I think you'd like.)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:08 AM  

  • Something isnt right,
    I don't know how I know.
    But baby it's despite
    My dog and pony show.
    Aimee Mann

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home