Tuesday, January 2, 2007

photo-a-day

As a person who aspires to use my camera as frequently as possible, I've flirted several times with a new year's resolution to take one photo per day.

It sounds like a lovely goal, doesn't it? Just one photo each day! No problem! But usually I get to January 8 or 9 and then give up in frustration. Finding interesting photos is really challenging (at least for me). It takes a lot of effort to get a good image on a consistent basis.

Somebody who does this very well is Seattle photographer Doug Plummer. He's been posting an image a day for 600 days in a row (!). What's remarkable is that his daily photos are really good. You can view a Flickr slide show of 2006's photos here, or scroll through his photo-a-day site here.

One of the things I like best about Doug is how thoughtfully he writes about his photographic process in his written blog. He gracefully articulates a lot of issues for which I've never found language. Which is one reason that I make a point to visit the blog every day.

Even without the words, his work is delightful, and his dedication to his work is deeply inspiring.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • Good luck with your efforts. I too desire to do something like a photo-a-day, but struggle. Besides, I'm about to attempt to learn Photoshop so I have a feeling all of my time will be chewed up doing post-production work.

    Another daily photoblog I recommend is daily dose of photgraphy by Canadian photographer Sam Javanrouh. He doesn't always include much text with the photos, but each shot always includes the camera settings used.

    By Blogger Paulie, at 12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home