Friday, May 25, 2007

Goal-setting

Somehow over the past few years, I've fallen out of the habit of regular goal-setting. Other friends have merrily plotted magnificent courses for themselves, saving money, paying off debts, improving their fitness and cleaning up their unfinished business. And I've just been sitting here on the couch eating tortilla chips and thanking God that I'm not one of those crazy goal-setting maniacs who's always pushing herself to improve. Because, you know, self-improvement is hard work. It's kind of a drag sometimes.

I mean, who needs goals? I've got serenity, and a bag of tortilla chips, and a remote control. Sweeeet.

So I've been drifting along, aimlessly bumping into jobs, friends, activities that happened to float my way. Did yesterday mark my 100,000th tortilla chip on the couch? Maybe it did, because I suddenly realized that I'm getting really tired of being so utterly rudderless.

At work we've been going through an excruciating cycle of "self-development and coaching." This cycle apparently comes up once a year, and sweet mother Mary, it is torture. You have to request written feedback from others who judge how well they think you're doing in the area of Change Agility™ or Communicating Impactfully™ or Building Meaningful Relationships.™ It feels awful, asking a co-worker to wax eloquent about how skillful I am at Change Agility. I would rather ask them to personally throw away my used dental floss.

I thought I was done with all of this, but then yesterday my Superboss came in and provided some On-the-Spot Coaching™ about this one final bit of development I need to take care of. It is a massive Self-Evaluation Form™ where I have to write a long, reflective essay about how I've done with my own work objectives over the past year. I have to write entire paragraphs about my skills in Sharing Knowledge Openly™ and Communicating Impactfully™.

"I usually spend four or five hours putting mine together," Superboss said. "It's good to spend some time on it, because it ends up getting put into in your permanent file."

I nodded thoughtfully and made a good Listening Attentively™ face, absorbing all the details about this massive crap-fest I cannot seem to extricate myself from. As soon as she left, I took out my journal and wrote an angry screed which contained so many swear words that I am too embarrassed to quote it here. The bottom line is that I am getting back into personal goal-setting, and the first goal to permanently eject myself from this company in the next year so that I never have to go through one of these ridiculous self-assessment cycles again. Change Agility that, Superboss.

Yes, I know I'm pretty much repeating myself a lot here lately. But this is where I go to process reality and concoct new plans. So bear with me.

(Deep breath.)

Yesterday I ran across this quote from Theodore Roosevelt. I keep reading it again and again:

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man [or woman] who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs; who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

First, I wish this guy was still president.

Second, I love that final phrase: "those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." I know that when he wrote this, Roosevelt was probably talking about courageous soldiers who went into battle to give their lives for the cause of freedom, but from where I'm standing, I feel like that phrase is a good characterization of my attitude towards work over the past few years. All the upper-management shakeups at the office over the past few weeks have helped me clarify with unshakable certainty that sitting on the couch eating tortilla chips is not enough anymore.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

  • I have to do that every year too. I just write a sentence or two of bullshit and am done with it. Takes five minutes. Who cares about permanent files and such? I had that held over my head all growing up and it just doesn't have any power anymore.

    I like my huge company and my corporate job and am trying to build a career here, but I can't be worrying about permanent files.

    I do the same one-sentence thing for the reviews I have to do for other people, too. Haven't been reprimanded for it yet.

    It is painful, isn't it? Stupid hoops they make us jump through because some research firm told them it was something they should do.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:36 PM  

  • if boot camps and financial advisors are your version of sitting on the couch eating potato chips, i'm in big, big trouble.

    By Blogger DeffoTotes, at 1:00 PM  

  • Hee hee. OK, I haven't been sitting on my butt this whole year. Just a lot of it. Like those times when I had to ice my shins down.

    By Blogger romanlily, at 1:05 PM  

  • My company is going through that review process, evaluation process now, too.

    And honestly? I've never even SEEN my permanent file - whatever that is. Means nothing to me.

    By Blogger Northern_Girl, at 1:13 PM  

  • you know whats sad? us "goal-setters" set goals to be like you and eat chips and on the sofa while NOT setting goals. go figure.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:02 PM  

  • I agree with DeffoTotes.

    Also, I don't think I was necessarily supposed to, but I laughed through a good portion of this post. I think it had something to do with all the TM'd phrases and when you said you wrote a lot of swear words in your journal. I love it when good girls swear. It makes me feel better about myself.

    By Blogger the lady love, at 11:54 AM  

  • Was this photo shot in your home? We have the EXACT (and I mean exact) same tilework in our 1930s bathroom: same goldenrod-yellow square tiles trimmed in black. I love them.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:04 AM  

  • "utterly rudderless" - I like that - be sure to that one :)

    My skin was crawling as I read about the mentoring and self-evaluation.

    Best wishes friend. I have every hope that you will find your way free and inspire us with something great.

    By Blogger John Daharsh, at 11:54 PM  

  • 100,000th chip sounds like a goal to me...

    Maybe just a little goal setting is helpful. Not the uber-productive my-job-is-my-life kind of stuff.

    Maybe your next goal should include salsa!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:04 PM  

  • screw the form - put down the roosevelt quote. they're just going to use your own words to decide whether you will be one of the people to go or stay. if you don't want to stay - use the quote and go out in style.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 4:51 PM  

  • I'm so very late to the game on this one, but I recall all too well the yearly evaluations. Ugh! In my company (one that should be more creative being, oh, a publisher and all) we also had to do monthly updates, where we discussed our goals, etc etc ad infinitum. It became increasingly difficult to say (in different ways each month of course) oh, we met this goal, or no, this one is still on hold. Ooh, and the permanent file threat has always felt so, well, Kafka-esque.

    I, too, am now struggling with the decision as to whether or not to go back, as I'm currently on maternity leave. I can't possibly imagine not working, yet at the same time, I can't really imagine rejoining that particular workforce.

    Congratulations on leaving the VLMC. I've been reading you for a long time (lurk, lurk, lurk) but finally popped out of the woodwork. I hope that you find true happiness and creative spirit in your next endeavor.

    By Blogger b*babbler, at 10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home