Thursday, June 14, 2007

Sayonara to the Money Factory

Well, it looks like my tenure at the Money Factory (also known as the Very Large Multinational Corporation or "VLMC") will be drawing to a tortured close at the end of the month. I've had eighteen months of blissful stability, plenty of money, amazing health benefits, meaningless work projects, an endlessly agitated bullshit sensor, and the knowledge that the gig wouldn't, shouldn't and couldn't last.

The decision to leave became much clearer and easier for me last week when the VLMC let go one of my good work friends in part of a massive re-organization. Before Andy was let go, I didn't fully realize that he was sort of a lifeline to me in the office. Without him around, work quickly shifted from tolerable to fairly unbearable.

The silver lining in this situation is that I am timing my exit during the same re-org that swept Andy out the door. Most of the people left behind in my department are getting "re-matched" to a new position, but since I'm choosing not to accept the new position, I'll get a nice severance package that will help keep me going through the summer. It will also help me pay off the new Canon D20 and the fantastic new lens I just bought. (I can't figure out if the timing of that major new camera purchase is amazingly terrible, or eerily good. I'm choosing to believe the latter. Now I'll have time to enjoy using the darned thing.)

After my last day of work, I'll burn some work materials in Lalah's fire pit. I plan to make a little ritual out of it. Seems like an appropriate use for those 250 business cards I never distributed. I hope to never see my name printed next to that company's logo again.

I am really not sure what comes after this, but I feel very positive about closing the books on this chapter. The lesson I learned at the VLMC is that it's not enough to just make good money and benefits. There must be something more. Some little seed that opens up new possibilities. Some opportunity for growth, or even some interesting relationship with a co-worker that provides a beam of light in the middle of the day. I'll probably never have an Amazingly Meaningful Job, the kind of job where I save babies from burning buildings or distribute protease inhibitors to AIDS-infected Africans, but I need to do more with myself than clock in every day to a job that leaves me half asleep. I suddenly find myself reminded of the words of Jesus, when he talked about how worthless it was to gain the whole world and lose your own soul. As far as I know, Jesus never worked a day in an office, but clearly he understood how crappy it feels when part of you goes dead inside, and how much better off you are when you fight back against that death. And this thought is oddly comforting.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

  • On the one hand I am sorry to hear that you are leaving your job, on the other hand I hope that this move opens up doors that will lead you to bigger and better things.

    What lens did you get? I am having lens envy currently and am trying not to make a purchase. I have found out that getting into photography is like getting hooked on crack -- there is always more out there that I want, but it costs me plenty of cash every time I break down and buy something.

    By Blogger Paulie, at 7:04 AM  

  • Yes. I totally understand the crack metaphor. It's no longer about cute shoes and handbags for me.... It's about L-series lenses.

    The one I got is a 24-70mm f2.8L. It's annoyingly heavy, but out of four lenses that I rented for a test drive, it's the one that seemed the most versatile, powerful and useful.

    By Blogger romanlily, at 7:46 AM  

  • Congratulations on moving forward! That is fantastic!

    By Blogger Corvi, at 12:20 PM  

  • This is going to be great for you, Grace. You're not only getting the sev package and the eligibility for unemployment, but the freedom to pursue what you think will feed your soul. Congratulations!

    By Blogger Sonja Streuber, PMP(R), SSBB, at 1:56 PM  

  • I'm excited for you friend. Let me know if there's anything I can do.

    By Blogger John Daharsh, at 2:05 AM  

  • How you're leaving your job at the corporation is very similar to how I left my job at the museum in 2005- people were let go, and many of us- including me- were "reorganized" into jobs without being consulted first. I was feeling the office mini-death at that point anyway, so it was the perfect time to leave. I quit, cashed in my tiny 401K (which they tell you never, ever to do) bought my iMac, the CS2 Suite, and Epson printer and started my own business doing photography and design. You are right- somehow all those large purchases coincide with lean money periods!

    Anyway- things were lean for me for much of the past two years, and I made ends meet by odd jobbing- working at a camera store, working costumes backstage at a theater, teaching photography classes. I kept applying for design jobs until I got one, and now I make my living working part time contract doing graphic design for a small local corporation, doing my own freelance, teaching and still working the occasional day or two at the camera store. You've got a lot more experience than I do in design, so I am sure something cool will come your way- meanwhile- enjoy the free time! I loved having all that free time to take walks in the park, to play with my computer, to surf the web, hang out with friends in the middle of the day.

    Also enjoy that L-series! Nice.

    By Blogger l, at 8:35 AM  

  • "it's not enough to just make good money and benefits. There must be something more...."
    Exactly. I've been struggling with this, too, for quite some time now. Very well put.

    By Blogger oregoncoastgirl, at 3:48 PM  

  • As someone who quit her job at a Not-So-Large but still bullshitty Corporation, let me tell you it's all uphill from here! Congratulations, and I look forward to reading about what comes next!

    By Blogger Jana, at 7:55 PM  

  • Corporate America is in deep trouble once it realizes, too late, that pay and benefits are just not enough.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:51 AM  

  • I'm here via your Flcikr, and feeling vaguely like a stalker, but I wanted to say good luck and, honestly, the relief seemed to come off you in waves in this entry - I hope you're enjoying freedom!

    Also, I have deep camera and lens envy!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home