Tuesday, August 21, 2007

prayers for a friend

My friend Bob has been missing for three weeks. He disappeared some time on August 1 in Washington County, Kansas. Authorities are starting to conclude that he drowned while exploring a river on the campground where he was staying. Though his body has not been found, the situation is not looking hopeful.

Bob was one of the people that really encouraged me when I was getting started with my photography. When I told him last year I was thinking about upgrading to a newer, faster camera, he encouraged me to shell out the cash for a Canon 5D, which is a really powerful professional digital Canon camera. "The caliber of your work easily justifies this level of gear," he wrote me in an email. "If you want to hold up liquor stores to get the money, let me know. I'll drive the getaway car." I didn't end up getting the 5D, but the thought of robbing liquor stores at gunpoint with Bob made me laugh.

Bob had a 5D himself, and he also had the technical skills to stretch the camera to its full capacity. He was known around my community for his ability to capture dancers twirling and smiling, finding moments of pure joy and connection on the dance floor. I still don't know how he did this while keeping faces in focus and the shots properly exposed.

He was one of my favorite dance partners, too. That's how I first got to know him. He was an extraordinary partner, tall and strong. I knew if I was dancing with Bob that I could cut loose a little bit and he'd always be there to catch me on the other side.

Some of my favorite images from Bob:
Mentone fire dance
The bass player
Me dancing in 2005 with my friend Bruce

I hate the thought that I might never get to see Bob again.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

  • The photos of Bob's that you linked to are beautiful -- breathtaking, really. I will be holding him up and wishing him peace -- and you, too.

    By Blogger eliza, at 3:35 PM  

  • Bob's photographs are truly amazing! I will pray for both of you. God bless!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:18 PM  

  • Thanks guys. I appreciate your good thoughts. I just mailed a letter to Bob's wife in which I told her some of my favorite memories of him from recent years. I don't know her very well, but it felt good to be able to share those thoughts with her and to actually enjoy my memories of him for a little while.

    By Blogger romanlily, at 9:00 AM  

  • What beautiful and amazing photographs. I'll be thinking of you and your friend during this time.

    By Blogger b*babbler, at 8:22 PM  

  • Any word?

    By Blogger eliza, at 2:45 PM  

  • Sadly, we have not received any additional news about Bob, despite the fact that there was an intense search in the area when news of his disappearance first spread. The search included firefighters, police, volunteers, dogs, etc. on both land and water.

    It's really strange. And sad. He just seems to have vanished.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:39 PM  

  • Bob's photos are richly beautiful and speak volumes about the spirit of contradance. Our prayers are with Bob, his family and you.

    By Blogger Cliff, at 12:23 PM  

  • Just checking in to see if there was any news about Bob... his story seems to have disappeared. I was hoping we'd have a happy ending by now, but until we do -- here's hoping.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:59 PM  

  • Well, here's a follow-up. Today is November 13, 2007. I just heard this morning that Bob's body was finally found, more than three months after his disappearance. It appears that he took his own life.

    I am finding out more about the circumstances surrounding his disappearance. I had no idea that he had suicidal thoughts or that taking his own life was something he would ever consider.

    I am really sad about this. Bob, I hope you are in a better place now.

    By Blogger romanlily, at 6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home