Wednesday, November 28, 2007

amusing

I took my car in to the mechanic today so he could look at some things. My check engine light was on, and it had been a while since I'd had the car serviced.

I love my mechanic. I've been seeing Rick for years. If he told me that he would need to charge me $5,000 to service my differential, I'd probably believe him and write him a check, even though I don't really know what a differential is or what it does.

This morning, when I dropped off the car, I asked him to look up the information on my car and tell me when I should plan to change the timing belt. The timing belt is a little rubber loop that is helps the valves in the engine fire at the proper times. The part itself isn't that expensive, but the timing belt generally lives in a terribly inaccessible place in the engine, so when you replace the timing belt, it ends up costing a ton of money, because the mechanic has to basically pull the entire engine out to get to it. I have to plan a few months out with the timing belt, because I can be confident that it's going to cost about $1,000 to change it.

Rick called me this morning. "Well, I've got some good news and some bad news." (This is how most of my conversations with Rick begin.)

I asked for the bad news. It was pretty bad: the car needs some obscure but important oxygen sensor unit. I have no idea what this part does, but the part costs about $600. Crap.

Then I asked for the good news.

"I looked up the information on your car to find out when they suggest you change your timing belt," he said. "I found out that your car does not have a timing belt. So you will never need to replace it."

"You're kidding!" I almost shouted into the phone. I was thrilled.

Then I stopped, and laughed, because I am pretty sure this means I've reached adulthood. The thought of not having to eventually pay for this car repair brings me to the same level of happiness that I have when Rufus Wainwright gives a concert, or when I get together for dinner with good friends.

Adulthood is amusing.

2 Comments:

  • $600 for an oxygen sensor seems a tad steep ... does that include the work hours? As for the parts price, you might want to check http://www.oxygensensors.com to get an idea what yours should cost.

    By Blogger Sonja Streuber, PMP(R), SSBB, at 9:08 PM  

  • Yes, $600 is steep. (Cool link -- who'd have thought there was a whole URL devoted to oxygen sensors?)

    Thanks for the good advice. I did some research and have confirmed that the sensor for my make/model car is quite a bit more expensive than many other comparable cars. Lucky me. (My mechanic warned me that this was the case.) But I'll do a little more poking around to make sure I'm not getting ripped off.

    By Blogger romanlily, at 10:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home