Tuesday, November 13, 2007

goodbye to a friend

This morning I found out that Bob is gone. Bob is the friend I wrote about here. And that's a photo of him, taken by his wife Judy. His body was discovered, some time this past weekend, in the woods where he disappeared in August. It is apparent to authorities that he took his own life, probably on the same day that he disappeared.

In the three months since Bob vanished, I've discovered more information about some of the circumstances surrounding his disappearance. I found out about some major obstacles he was facing in some of his most important relationships. There were a lot of personal issues troubling Bob that I knew nothing about. But the thought of Bob killing himself is profoundly upsetting. I feel like I want to go back to the park where he disappeared, to sit down with him and just talk things out for a while. What I'd really like to do is talk him out of it.

I'm not really sad yet. Mostly I'm just mad. This feels like a profound loss of talent and heart for the world. Plus a damn fine dance partner for me.

It is so painful to know that some part of Bob really thought that ending his own life would be a good idea. Nothing could be further from the truth.

There was some small part of me that hoped that Bob was still alive. That he had just decided to go somewhere quiet to collect himself for a while.

A few weeks ago I even found myself hoping (irrationally) that Bob was alive, that he was Googling himself somewhere in a public library in the middle of nowhere, and coming across the journal entry I wrote about him back in August. Just so he would know that I was thinking about him, that I missed him. That sounds silly now.

Bob, I hope you are happier where you are now. I miss you.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

  • I hope he's happier somewhere, too. This reminded me that after Geoff's mom called to tell us that Stephanie had died, for days afterward I kept thinking, whenever we got a call from someone in the family, that they were calling to tell us that it had all been a mistake, that she'd made a miraculous recovery, that she was going to be ok. I think maybe it's hard not to think that - hard not to hope, even when you have pretty good reasons for not hoping anymore. I'm sorry your friend is gone.

    By Blogger Jessamyn, at 12:21 PM  

  • I'm so sorry about your friend. I've been through the same thing twice, with two friends who took their lives. One of the strategies that's really helped me drop the being mad and respect their choice to die was to make a list of all the good things they've contributed to my life. And to make another list with all the reasons for me to stay alive, rather than follow them. Perhaps that helps a little. Take good care!

    By Blogger Sonja Streuber, PMP(R), SSBB, at 1:03 PM  

  • I'm so, so sorry about your friend.

    By Blogger Jennifer Z., at 2:29 PM  

  • I suppose that's a difference between men and women. You wish you could have been there to talk him out of it. I have kept wishing I had been there to grab his wrist, knock him to the ground, and wrestle the instrument away before he had the opportunity to use it.

    Just the usual difference in problem solving approaches, I guess.

    By Blogger Brandon Rhodes, at 7:59 PM  

  • Thank you guys for your comments. I appreciate them.

    Charlotte, I like your strategy. I may try that with Bob. I think that would help me move more quickly to a more productive place.

    Brandon, your note provided a bit of levity. In my alternate reality scenario, it didn't even occur to me to attempt to use force against him! Naturally, my solution was completely verbal. Heh.

    By Blogger romanlily, at 10:25 AM  

  • I'm so sorry.

    I think that you need to take the time to be angry - angry that he choose to end his life, and angry that he choose to do it in such a way that left his friends and family wondering and hoping for months.

    I really think that only by respecting your anger now will you ultimately be able to forgive him in the end.

    By Blogger b*babbler, at 11:51 AM  

  • I'm so sorry. I kept wondering if we'd get an update about this, but this is certainly not the one I was hoping for.

    I think it's okay to be mad.

    By Blogger Jana, at 7:48 PM  

  • I'm truly sad and sorry. I like to think that Bob knows how you wrote about him and how much he was loved.

    By Blogger eliza, at 8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home