Wednesday, April 1, 2009

the spiritual vibrations of food

thyme_IMG_6741_smaller

I've been wondering for a while about what to do with this website.

I'm past my personal era of confessional blogging. I no longer feel inspired to bare my heart to all who visit this space. But I have enjoyed writing here a lot over the past five or six or seven years — I forget how long it's been — and I don't want to give it up.

This week I'm having an epiphany about how to use this space. Naturally, this epiphany comes with a story. (Epiphanies usually do.)

At the end of December, my good friend Lalah and I went to North Carolina for a women's retreat led by Christine Kane. We had a wonderful weekend, full of laughter and reflection and unusually delicious food. The meals at this weekend were prepared by a local chef, a lovely woman named Deva who served mostly vegetarian fare. Many of the vegetables she used for her dishes came from her own garden. Each meal was colorful, inviting, comforting, and delicious. Almost as an afterthought, I'll add that these dishes were probably pretty nutritious, too.

On the way home from the retreat, Lalah and I stopped to have lunch at the Early Girl Eatery in Asheville. We both had a post-retreat glow — we felt clear and aligned and happy. We had been fed beautiful food for three days. We had been drinking herbal tea and doing yoga. We were feeling pretty zen.

Lalah said, "I loved the food at that retreat. Everything felt totally nutritious and totally yummy at the same time."

"Yeah, it was really nice."

"I really want to learn how to cook," she said. "I've always wanted to feel more comfortable in the kitchen."

"Well, maybe you can take lessons," I said.

"Or maybe we could try cooking together," she said.

Hey. There's an idea.

Since January we've been getting together to cook. It usually happens about once a week, though we took a few weeks off in February when life got in the way. We talk beforehand about what to prepare, and we take turns buying the groceries. Dishes are often vegetarian, but when they're not, we steer toward sustainably harvested seafood or free-range poultry. We go for the good stuff.

The meals are timed carefully after the arrival of Lalah's husband home from work and their 3-year-old son's nightly bedtime routine. They are not elaborate meals, but they are consistently delicious. And the process of cooking with Lalah in this context has been, well, utterly delightful.

Here's what I really want to say in this entry:

As I've been cooking with Lalah, I've been tuning into the many layers of my relationship to food. I've become much more attuned to what I would call the spiritual vibrations of food. Does that phrase sound a little odd to you, or do you instinctively know what I mean? There's a difference between eating a plate of nachos with yellow cheese sauce, and eating a little piece of really good cheddar from the farmer's market with a sliced apple. There's a hell of a difference between eating a Smart Ones® Honey Mango Barbeque Chicken frozen entree (that's part of Weight Watcher's "Fruit Inspirations™" line, FYI), and actually preparing a piece of free-range chicken with a chutney barbeque dressing.

It's not just the nutritional differences between these options that I'm talking about — it's the way you feel as you're preparing the food, how you feel when you're eating it, and how you feel afterwards.

What I'm seeing is that my relationship to food feels like an invitation to something richer, something more sacred.

I think this is something a lot of Americans are waking up to right now. I don't think Michael Pollan's message would have had the same resonance if he'd been writing in the early '80s. But now, his words are like springs of water in the desert.

We're reaching the end of our relationship with un-reality. We're reaching the end of our relationship with fake food. Eating an Egg McMuffin doesn't really fly when we can dine on fresh berries and Greek yogurt instead.

In the coming weeks and months, I'll bring you reports from my cooking dates with Lalah. I'll give you our recipes and a summary of what we loved or didn't love about the recipe. I hope you'll read along, and comment, and even cook along with us.

I'm looking forward to this.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

  • Yes yes YES! It's like...Botany of Desire meets Celestine Prophecy...I love it! YEAY YOU! Yeay new opportunities, listening to your soul and trying new things. YEAY YOU!

    By Blogger Maigh, at 10:15 AM  

  • I know we talked about this briefly over e-mail, but I'm still with you. This Lent, I gave up sweets. Somehow, this transferred into giving up fake food. Fake cereal, fake snacks. It has been transforming because simple, naturally things like grapes and oranges and bananas taste so good to me now. I am taking great comfort in being better to myself in this way. Thanks for articulating this so well. I wish we could cook a meal together. Maybe someday.

    By Blogger eliza, at 4:15 PM  

  • I left out the word "sweet" between "naturally" and "things" -- oops.

    By Blogger eliza, at 4:15 PM  

  • Thanks to both of you beautiful women for your thoughts.

    Eliza, I think you are a real rock star for giving up sweets up for Lent. And I love that your sacrifice has naturally dovetailed to include fake food. Doesn't it seem like your taste buds are thanking you for the break? I understood that when we stop inundating ourselves with extreme quantities of sugar, we lose our taste for it. It's wonderful that we become more aware of our ability to appreciate subtle flavors.

    Gretchen, of the wonderful blog Happiness Project, writes here about giving up fake food. She says she gained something important after ditching fake food: happiness! Go read that entry -- I think it'll resonate with you.

    I love the thought of cooking a meal together, too. That is getting added to my personal wish list.

    By Blogger romanlily, at 4:34 PM  

  • This was lovely to read. I have been your Flickr friend for a few years now, brought in initially by your 365 Project and loving what came out of it. Today I was randomly wondering if romanlily was a blog too and found this, a food blog, which is exactly what I have. Fate, right?

    My blog is almost a year old now, but I've learned so much already in the sense of my relationship with food---how it feels to make things myself, to fail, to succeed. I love the way you put it here.

    By Blogger shanna, at 1:21 PM  

  • Thank you, Shannalee.

    I am really fascinated by the way food affects our spiritual/emotional health. We've heard the adage about how "you are what you eat" so many times that it's hard to truly hear it at all. But it's so true. I feel like I can operate from a higher place when I'm in a balanced, healthy place with food. My relationship with food has everything to do with me being able to trust and believe in myself. It's kind of fascinating.

    I look forward to checking out your blog!

    By Blogger romanlily, at 12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home